Head Start / Early Head Start
Head Start and Early Head Start is a national program that is federally funded and administered under the Department of Health and Human Services. The United States Government provides 80% of Head Start/Early Head Start funding while the remaining 20% must be provided by community sources, ensuring that each Head Start/Early Head Start Program reflects the strengths, needs, concerns, and cultures of the local community.
Early Head Start
Early Head Start, offered in many of North Central WV Community Action’s counties including Marion, Preston, Randolph, and Tucker provides Center and Home Based services to prenatal families and families with children ages birth to three, who are income eligible. Early Head Start was initiated in response to the changing needs of families and research indicating the critical importance of the early years to a child’s healthy growth and development. The Early Head Start Program provides and supports comprehensive activities designed to foster this healthy growth and development.
The Head Start Program promotes school readiness by enhancing the social and cognitive development of preschool children three to five years of age in income eligible families in Barbour, Marion, Monongalia, Pocahontas, Preston, Randolph, Taylor, Tucker, and Webster Counties. The North Central WV Community Action Association Head Start/Early Head Start Program has emerged as a leader in collaboration with County Boards of Education in the implementation of Universal Pre-K education. Offering preschool children the opportunity to receive education in schools in their home attendance areas is one of the major goals of Universal Pre-K. Through partnerships, children and families are able to receive support services such as health, nutrition, and social services. This system enhances parent involvement in their children’s learning and helps them in making progress toward their educational, literacy, and employment goals.